It is very important that you create a safe sleeping environment for your baby. It is possible for babies to get into dangerous situations in their cots if parents/caregivers are not aware of these dangers. Whenever someone puts a child down for a sleep, they must make sure that it is a safe environment for that child to sleep in.
- Suffocate by getting caught up in the bedding or cot bumpers
- Choke on small objects left in the cot
- Suffocate as a result of getting stuck between the mattress and side of the cot
- Strangle on cords and ties
The safe sleeping position:
- You should always place your baby on his back to sleep.
- If you are going to sleep baby on their side (if your baby has bad reflux for example) talk to health professional first and use a suitable sleep positioner Snoozzz, Supreme Sleep
- Make the cot up with the sheets tucked in low down in the cot – when you place your baby into bed, his feet should almost be touching the end of the cot.
- Don’t let the bedding come up any higher than your baby’s shoulder.
- Use Vertical Crib Liners on the cot rails to protect your child’s head and body.