Preparing for the bath
- Choose a place that is warm and non drafty to bathe your baby.
- Plan for your babies bath. Make sure you have everything you need before you start.
- Fill the sink or tub you're going to bathe your baby in with warm water. Always test the water with your wrist or elbow. The water should be comfortably warm, not hot.
- Never leave baby alone in the bath.
- Many babies find a bath relaxing, so incorporating bath time into your evening routine will ensure they are relaxed and ready for bed.
- Bubble bath or soap can dry out infants skin. If you want to add something nice to the bath water use bath oil.
- Support your babies head on your lower arm and hold him around his shoulder and under his armpit. Inflatable Bath Mattress OR Easy Bath makes supporting your baby in the bath easy and fun.
- Use a soft flannel and wash your baby's body. Don't forget to get between all the little creases and behind the ears and under the neck where spit-up and moisture seem to collect.
- When washing hair, lean the baby back and gently massage water into hair and scalp. Use cup to pour water over the baby's head taking care to avoid the eyes. You may use baby shampoo if you choose but there is no need to. Babies are born with all the natural oils needed to keep the scalp beautiful and shampoos can easily spoil this balance.